Dental Tips: How much sugar is hiding in your trolley?
Dental Health Week is a yearly oral health campaign, and this year, it will be on 3 – 9 August.
Dental Health Week: 4 Key Messages
The campaign aims to educate Australians about the importance of maintaining good oral health by promoting four key messages:
- Brushing at least twice a day with a fluoride-containing toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Flossing between your teeth daily.
- Keeping a healthy, balanced diet and limiting sugary and acidic intake.
- Visiting your dentist regularly for check-ups and preventive dental care.
The primary focus this year is on the harmful dangers sugar does to oral health, aiming to help Australians to ‘get sugar savvy’, which includes the recommended daily sugar consumption levels, advice on checking food labels, and the effect of sugar on our teeth.
- Avoid consuming foods and drinks with added sugars.
- Choose foods with less than 10g of sugar per 100g.
- Look out for hidden sugars on foods and beverages.
How much sugar is hiding in your trolley?
These will be reinforced through the tagline: ‘How much sugar is hiding in your trolley?’, which tackles the concept of hidden sugars and checking food labels.
Making healthy choices while grocery shopping means making the same smart food and drink choices at home.
Not buying an unhealthy item means you don’t have to continue saying ‘no’ at home.
Reality check! The oral health of many Australians is not anywhere near where it should be.
- Less than 50% Australian adults have had a dental check-up in the past year.
- 53% of Australians brush their teeth once a day.
- Almost 40% of Australians NEVER floss between their teeth.
- 73% of young people consume too much sugar.
- 47% of adults consume too much sugar.
There are many different ways to access sugar information as part of Dental Health Week 2020.
A visit to your trusted dentist is great for advice where your enquiries can be answered.
The Passion Family Dental North Lakes Promise!
At Passion Family Dental North Lakes, we believe high-quality dental care can only be achieved by placing our patients first.
We have free parking, allocated specifically for our patients available on-site, as well as on-street parking.
We are wheelchair friendly!
Our regular hours are from Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
For patients needing attention on Saturdays, Sundays, or after hours, call us to set an appointment.
We are your patient-friendly dentist located at Unit 4/6 Endeavour Boulevard in North Lakes.